20 January 2009

The NCAA proves once again...

That it is practically useless at regulating college sports. Funny thing is, that's what it's supposed to do. Now, seventh graders can be legally contacted by college basketball coaches. This august body decided to take action because college coaches were conducting middle school camps and participating in developmental leagues, and scouting players all the while, and the organization was powerless to stop them because these activities fell outside current rules. Now these players are officially prospects, which means their contact with coaches can be regulated. Yeah, right. Why not just say that no college coach can have any contact with any player before high school under any circumstance? Period. Let them be kids. It seem to me that this change will make AAU leagues and private camps more of of a recruiting nightmare then they already are.

Maybe I'm being a bit hasty. My son is halfway through second grade. Maybe I need to develop a five year plan so my dreams of retiring to a beach house can be realized? Sorry, I have to go run some rebounding drills...Where my whistle?

No comments: