27 April 2009

Civil War 150

This morning, as I sipped my morning coffee, I read with interest this article from the Miami Herald on growing national interest in the approaching Civil War sesquicentennial.



The North Carolina Office of Archives and History is already organizing a four-year long series of programs, symposia, and other commemorative activities in connection with the sesquicentennial . Virginia is as well. This anniversary is a great opportunities for historic sites, professors, public school teachers, and a variety of others who interpret history for the public to ask big questions about the war and its meaning. I fear that the economy will curtail spending on such efforts, but I hope the anniversary energizes citizens to consider what the war means for our history and for our times.

No comments: