03 March 2009

The Dangers of Cricket

Now, I've never understood the game of cricket, but it has fascinated me ever since my British and Australian friends introduced me to it when I was on a sojourn overseas. I still don't understand the rules, but why let that spoil it. People around the world love the game with its tea breaks and gentlemanly atmosphere. It is hard for an American to grasp how much some people, especially in South Asia, invest in their sides. When Australia won The Ashes -- a big deal in test cricket -- in 2007, I expected the victors would hoist a Stanley Cup-like trophy in celebration. Not so. It's a tiny thing, holding the ashes of the wickets from the first match. And, it's a replica. But I really don't understand this. Scary. So much for a civilized game.

No comments: