17 February 2009

A Book That Leaves Me Wishing for Spring


I have been perusing of Jim Gasque's Hunting and Fishing in the Great Smokies, recently republished by the University of North Carolina Press with a new introduction by Jim Casada. A friend who will remain nameless sent it along, and I appreciate it. I read the book years ago, and I spent part of the afternoon getting reacquainted with it. Written in 1948, Gasque takes his readers on a knowledgeable and informative tour of outdoor sports in the North Carolina mountains. And you get to meet the dean of mountain outdoorsmen, Mark Cathey. It's well worth your time. And it's left me wondering when I'll be able to get the fly rod out again. Soon, I hope.

2 comments:

Drum Taps said...

I got a rod and reel for Christmas. No fly-fishing to speak of near here, but the mighty Allegany is allegedly pretty good fishing. How 'bout dem apples?

RDS said...

Now that's cool. We'll have to go sometime soon. Hope you and all are well.